Who can vote?
All citizens registered in the Electoral Register in Portugal can vote, even if they are not Portuguese citizens.
How do I know if I'm registered?
- Go to https://www.recenseamento.mai.gov.pt/
- If you do not have a Cartão do Cidadão, use the search option by Name and Date of Birth.
- If your name is found, then you are registered.
- If your name is not found when searching, then you are not registered
Can I register?
Portuguese citizens are automatically registered at the polling station correspondent to the address stored in Cartão de Cidadão. If, in the search above, the polling station is not the correct one, you must update the address registered on your Cartão de Cidadão.
Foreign citizens are entitled to register and are able to vote if they are:
- National citizens of any European Union country if residents in Portugal.
- National citizens of Brazil and Cape Verde, if legal residents in Portugal for more than 2 years. The exception is Brazilian citizens who have equal political rights status, who are automatically registered.
- Nationals citizens of Argentina, Chile, Colombia, Iceland, Norway, New Zealand, Peru, United Kingdom, Uruguay and Venezuela, if legal residents in Portugal for more than 3 years.
How to register?
Foreign citizens can register in the Portuguese Electoral Register at the Junta de Freguesia of the place of residence up to 60 days before the elections:
- Cascais – Largo Cidade Vitória, 2750-642 Cascais
- Estoril – R. de Santa Rita, 2765-281 Estoril
- Carcavelos – Estrada da Torre, 1483 – 2775-688 Carcavelos
- Parede – R. José Relvas, 84 – 2775-222 Parede
- Alcabideche – Praceta do Moinho, 2645-060 Alcabideche
- São Domingos de Rana – Rua D. Duarte de Menezes, 12, 2785-582 S. Domingos de Rana
How to know where to vote?
How to vote?
- On election day you will be able to vote at your polling station between 8 am and 7 pm.
- Present your Cartão do Cidadão, National ID, Passport, Residence Permit or Driving License at the polling station.
- You will receive a ballot for the City Council, a ballot for the Municipal Assembly and a ballot for your Assembleia de Freguesia.
- The vote is personal and secret.